Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Friendship and Marriage: Lessons From the Film The Wedding Ringer

Okay, I just watched the cool film titled The Wedding Ringer. It features Kevin Hart, Josh Gad, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting among other stars.

The film is about this nerd of a guy Doug Harris (Josh Gad) who has two weeks to his wedding and has got nobody, nada! As grooms men – wack right? So he goes off to meet Jimmy Callahan aka Bic Michum (Kevin Hart) a young man who has made a fortune providing grooms men service to poor friendless dudes like Doug to secure a golden tux – a service where seven men serve as grooms men for a wedding. The whole film revolves round friendship and the reasons we marry.

Well technically speaking Bic Mitchum (Kevin Hart) does provide some useful statistics to why grooms men services may soon be a business line. Now all these may be happening in America, but hey the culture is fast catching up here.


I really found myself wondering and asking myself some questions, like.

  •    What is the marriage statistics in Naija – beat me because I don’t have the answer.
  • Who really is my friend, like friend friend, not just friend... I know I’ve got a good load of guys, but friends – am rethinking all over.
  •  What’s going be my ‘The One” line?
  •  Are weddings really for the bride? What is bad in being happy on my wedding day (forgetting the fact that I’m spending some good bar)
  • To call wedding off, that one nah another stori entirely.

   The funny thing within all this is that, I’ve been asked by a good old friend of mine to help out with his wedding (friends of groom things) and I’ve got a couple others lined up already for the later part of the year.


    As it turns out, this year is a marriage year for many, and me, well… am dusting off my suits and getting me to attend some weddings. As we dey talk am for Naija scratch my back I scratch yours. If I scratch now, maybe there would be friends who would scratch mine, lolz!
   

    So here are some answers to my questions.
    
                  Reason why real Friendship is fast in decline.

    Simple! hardship and selfishness. With the economy going down wind and every man having to hustle, it is telling on our relationships. We don’t have time to hang around again; we are always busy with work, no time to relate. This is even worse in the family stead, fathers and mothers don’t have time for their kids anymore, they now hire nannies and all – and you’re very aware of the bad image nannies have had in the press.
   Another reason is social media, yap social media. We are busy Facebooking, Twitting and Whatsapping away that real life conversations and communications is fast fading. Our fathers enjoyed so much, our generation is fast seeing the rise of a new culture, I fear for the next generation.
   
                                 Why Should One Marry

   Many reasons - companionship, love, reproduction, etc. But there’s one thing important, marry someone that gives you peace, a reason to live and one that’s your real friend. Not someone you have to impress, but someone who helps to make you a better you. Marry someone you love now and will love for life, till death…

                     What I learnt from the film wedding ringer?
    A line from the film that goes thus
  “The true measure of friendship isn’t how you feel about someone else, it’s about how they make you feel about yourself” – Bic Mitchum’s  grandmom.
                           I learnt the true meaning of friendship.

   As for my ‘The One’ line,… hmmn! When I reach that bridge, I will cross it jejely, taking my time wella to savour the moment.   
   
    So in all, I really enjoyed the film, the great parts and some you know (oyinbos would be themselves) not so appealing scenes. But it was great. Hey I also discovered something about myself again, I can do this whole thing..speak well of somebody especially if they’ll pay me.    
    
     If you have watched the film, kindly drop a comment about what you think and learnt from it
   

     Thats all fellows… 

     You May Also Like
   

Ready To Say "I DO"? 25 Simple Things You Should Consider



        Watch Out for My Interview with Alfred Ajani, the CV man- One Year After the Job Stunt. - Coming Soon!